If you’ve seen any talk about mercury retrograde and you’re wondering what exactly it is, we’re here to help you. Ever have a moment when everything seems to go wrong? Your wifi is moving slow, you’re arguing with people over nonsense, you’re late, and your computer crashes as you’re putting the final touches on an important document. Yeah, let’s blame all of that on mercury being in retrograde.
Three or four times a year, Mercury passes the earth in its orbit. As it rounds the bend, Mercury slows down and appears to stop (station) and spin backward (retrograde). No, it‘s not actually moving backward, but much like two trains or cars passing each other, this creates the illusion that one (Mercury, in this case) is going backward.
In astrology, Mercury rules communication, travel, and technology—so all of these areas can go haywire for about three weeks. Mercury retrograde also has what’s called a “shadow period”, so you may feel the effects of the retrograde before and after.
Here are some things you should and shouldn’t do during retrograde:
- Read all e-mails and documents TWICE before sending.
- Refrain from signing contracts or making new commitments. Instead, spend these couple of weeks reviewing them.
- Confirm all dates, plans and meetings.
- Leave early. Or, prepare to be late.
- Back up all digital data!
- Expect to run into people from your past randomly. Do NOTrekindle anything during the retrograde. Retrograde reunions are bound to be toxic.
- Don’t rant on social media, or send any long texts.
- Think twice before reacting. It’s easy to fly off the handle.
- Try to refrain from traveling during retrograde. If you do, be sure to pack your emergency car kit, expect a delay or cancellation, triple check that you have everything you need before you leave.
If you were born during a retrograde, you may be more productive or even thrive where others are struggling. You won’t be immune, but you can definitely use the retrogrades to your advantage.
Mercury retrograde is a time to embrace the lack of control. It’s also a great opportunity to handle unfinished business. Most of us start a million things that we don’t complete, never realizing how much psychic clutter this creates. The retrograde is like a quarterly review. It’s a chance to tie up those loose ends and create a clear vision for the future.
Take advantage of it, and you’ll emerge fresh and ready when Mercury goes direct. As the cliche goes, what you resist persists. So the more you can embrace chaos or a lack of control (and isn’t control an illusion, anyhow?), the better you’ll survive this cycle!
Here are the retrograde dates for the rest of this year:
July 7-31 (Leo/Cancer)
October 31-November 20 (Scorpio)